Friday, November 17, 2006

A footnote (that's why it's so small):

By an utter coincidence, ZeFrank is featured in this week's movie-themed New York Times Magazine. I would make that blue with underlining and have it change your arrow to a pointy hand, but a NYTimes account is needed to read the article online (sorry, buddy, you'll have to change your arrow to a pointy hand somewhere else).

Anyway, ZeFrank is, I think, one of those things the design of which is to make you feel like you're the only one who's heard of it (him?), and so you get really excited to have discovered something so sincere and private and neat. But then it turns out that, according to the Magazine, each installment of "The Show" is viewed by 200,000 people, which is a lot of people. Still, his very ability to create that false sense of intimacy (which, despite the potential paradox involved, may still not be as false as the numbers would seem to indicate) is quite impressive and also quite enjoyable.

I figure I might as well enjoy the "false" intimacy while I can, but not get used to it; the problem with "discovering" a gem is that if it's really that good, then it's unlikely to stay a secret (though of course, this is true in some cases even if it's not really that good). ZeFrank did, after all, just have his face published in the New York Times Magazine.

For the moment I can still think of myself as one of the few, the proud, the little duckie-in-the-pond-liking hard-charger-hating sportsracers. Granted, "few" would seem to include hundreds of thousands of people, but the feeling is still there, and I hope it lasts. Then again either way, since The Show will apparently only run for a few more months, I guess it won't.

Incidentally, I knew him when...by which I mean, before he started doing The Show, a few years ago, I used to visit his website. So I was probably one of the first in tens of thousands, rather than hundreds of thousands, to have 'discovered' him. Yay.





The feeling of intimacy aside, he's funny. I'm now wondering if you (the slightly less than 200,000 who read my blog) have all already heard of him. If you hadn't, check him out. If you had, why didn't you ever mention it? You probably thought it was just your little secret. Or maybe you just didn't like him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home